Tips on oral health
Diabetes can cause serious problems in your mouth. Know what to do to avoid them.
If you have diabetes, make sure you take care of your oral health. People with diabetes are at risk for mouth infections, especially gum disease (also called periodontal disease). This disease can damage the gums and jaw bones that hold teeth in place, which can also make chewing painful. Some people lose teeth due to severe gum infections. In addition, the gum disease may also hard to control glucose (sugar) in the blood.
Other problems in the mouth caused by diabetes are a condition called “dry mouth” (xerostomia) and a fungal infection called thrush. Dry mouth occurs when there is not enough saliva (the fluid that keeps your mouth moist). Diabetes can also increase the level of glucose in the saliva. The combination of these problems may lead to thrush, small white ulcers that appear in the mouth that are painful.
If you do not keep your diabetes under control, you are more likely to develop mouth problems. The good thing is that you can keep your teeth and gums healthy. To help prevent serious mouth problems, check your blood glucose in the blood, brush your teeth and floss daily, and visit the dentist regularly.
Take measures to maintain the health of your mouth. Consult your dentist if you have a dental problem.
If you have diabetes, take the following steps:
- Check your blood glucose in the blood.
- Brush your teeth and floss every day.
- Visit your dentist regularly. Do not forget to say you have diabetes.
- Tell your dentist if your dentures (false teeth) do not fit right, or if your gums are sore.
- If you smoke, stop doing! Smoking worsens gum disease. Your doctor or dentist can help you quit.
- Take a few minutes to mouth inspected regularly and identify any problems you may have. You may notice that your gums bleed when brushing or flossing. You can also have dryness, soreness, white patches or a bad taste in the mouth. Any of these are reasons to see the dentist.
Remember, good control of blood glucose can help prevent mouth problems.